You knew better when you started—that drinking to excess would make you miserable the next day. But when you’re having fun, it’s easy to negate the consequences you’ll pay in a few minutes, a few hours, or a few days. We’ve all been there, struggling through hangovers and wondering what we were thinking when we started drinking. Forget about home remedies that don’t work, and don’t even think about calling in sick. IV drip therapy can fight hangovers before they begin, and shorten their life even after you’re in their grip. Here’s what you need to know.
What Causes Hangovers?
The primary culprit behind hangovers is dehydration. Alcohol is a diuretic, which means it causes you to urinate more, but absorb less water. Worse still, if you’re drinking you’re probably not drinking much water. This can trigger painful dehydration that causes headaches, muscle aches, exhaustion, and the foul mood that so often accompanies physical discomfort.
It’s not enough to just drink water. Once you’re dehydrated, it takes time for your body to restore water to your cells. So even if you down a gallon of water the moment you awake, it will likely be too little too late. Some other factors may also trigger, or worsen a hangover. Those include:
- Blood sugar spikes and drops, that can leave you feeling hungry, moody, exhausted, and miserable.
- The inflammatory response alcohol triggers in some people. Inflammation is a culprit in everything from depression to muscle pain.
- Irritation to the lining of your stomach that can cause gastrointestinal distress, including vomiting and diarrhea.
- Congeners, an ingredient in alcohol that some research suggests directly triggers the pain of hangovers.
- Behaviors that accompany excessive drinking, such as not eating healthy, not getting enough sleep, smoking, drinking too much soda or caffeine, and other lifestyle issues that can leave you feeling miserable.
Traditional and Home Remedies for Hangovers
Hangovers are a complex phenomenon, triggered by several different factors. There’s no easy way to assess which factor is at play in any given hangover. Moreover, you may find that your hangovers change over time, based on your overall health or nutritional status. This can make it nearly impossible to tease out what’s behind your hangovers, and renders most home remedies worthless. Consider some of the following popular hangover remedies:
- Lemon juice: Lemon may soothe your stomach, but it won’t address other hangover symptoms.
- Ibuprofen and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: These medications can reduce pain and inflammation, but they also irritate the stomach lining, potentially making vomiting and diarrhea worse.
- Caffeine: Caffeine may give you more energy, but it’s a diuretic like alcohol. That means it may dehydrate you, actually making your symptoms worse.
- Sleep: Sleep won’t directly address your hangover. Of course, it’s possible to sleep through a hangover, but that’s all you’re doing. Sleep won’t actually treat the symptoms of a hangover.
- Water: You’re on the right track by drinking water, and water can certainly prevent your hangover from getting worse. But simply consuming vast quantities of water won’t adequately rehydrate you quickly enough to speed up recovery from your hangover.
How IV Drip Therapy Can Fight Hangovers
Ultimately, a hangover is an experience at the cellular level. Dehydration, inflammation, and other hangover triggers impede your cellular metabolism, causing pain, dehydration, exhaustion, and a host of other unpleasant experiences.
IV drip therapy gets to the root cause of these challenges. By delivering nutrition directly into your bloodstream, IV drip therapy ensures the most rapid recovery possible. IV treatment can quickly and painlessly rehydrate your body. And by offering quality nutrition—something that’s often sorely lacking after a night spent drinking, IV drip therapy also strengthens your body to more quickly heal inflammation and other damaging effects associated with alcohol consumption.
Many of our clients feel better within an hour or two of treatment. We think you shouldn’t have to suffer just because you enjoyed a night on the town. Let us show you how IV drip therapy can combat the misery of a hangover.